PDF generated by Aspose not displaying correctly

Mar 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Hi there, 

I am using Apose.Words to generate PDF-files from a .docx source. However, Document Toolkit renders these files a series of blank pages (no errors are thrown). If I generate the same PDFs with Word 2010 they are displayed fine. 

Any ideas why the Aspose-generated PDfs are not displaying correctly? 

Any input would be greatly appreaciated. 

Coordinator
Mar 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

The PDF documents generated by MS Office contain embedded TrueType fonts, which Document Toolkit happily supports. It's my guess the Aspose generated PDF documents do not contain TrueType fonts, but a font type currently not supported by the PDF render engine.

Alternatively you can use Aspose to generate XPS documents?

- Koen

Mar 20, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Thanks for your reply. 

Unfortunately, generating XPS instead of PDF does not seem to be an option atm. 

I played around with the PdfSaveOptions in Aspose setting EmbedFullFonts = true. This causes the text to show up in Silverlight, albeit it's all jumbled. This is true for both my test documents, where one is written in Calibri, the other in Arial. Not sure if this behaviour is caused by the Document Toolkit or by Aspose? 

Coordinator
Mar 20, 2012 at 8:19 PM

You can verify by loading your PDF documents in the Acrobat Reader (or some other PDF viewer). It's most likely that Document Toolkit is unable to correctly render the document, since it only implements parts of the PDF specification.

- Koen

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Documents load fine in Acrobat Reader and Foxit reader, so it seems you are right about Document Toolkit being unable to correctly render the document. Seems we'll have to come up with some kind of workaround. 

Thanks for your input nonetheless, it's greatly appreciated. :)